Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Confessions of My Ethnocentric Self

Sometimes you have to get away from a place in order to understand why you value it. This week, I felt the full force of wanting things to go the way they do “back home” in the states. I wanted a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, a real pillow to sleep on, a man to act like a gentleman even if it’s all pretense, tap water, a store to be open after 18:00, space, grass, oh yes and a real taco. My ethnocentricity has made a grand entrance this week, but is leaving the party soon I hope. I am not so frustrated as I am distracted. Fortunately, I like so many things here that it overrides the bad aspects. I don’t miss home too badly, I just miss getting to talk to my family and friends. Home means so much to me. I love traveling and visiting new and beautiful places, but I can't help but love knowing that I will always get to "go home". I have had the opportunity to realize how much I prefer where I come from. There are many delights here that make me "ooh and ahh" but it's not home.


However, the days seem to fly by here, so there is not a lot of time to be homesick. There is so much to see that I can barely fit it all in. I almost have every single week-end booked! I feel like I am on a perpetual vacation, apart from stressful class. Every day I see something beautiful I have never seen before. I can’t imagine growing up in a place like France where almost everything aesthetically appeals to your senses.

This week-end, Miranda, Katie and I went to Angers and Rennes. Well, Katie came with us to Rennes and Miranda and I went to Angers today. Rennes is about one and a half hours away and Angers is about half an hour away. All the museums were free this week-end because it was some kind of patrimony week-end. I got to see loads of art at the two Musees des Beaux Arts; walk through the Palais du Parliament of Bretagne; eat baguette and croissant; and just bum around in yet another stunning French city. I happened upon a Monet and a Peter Paul-Rubens while in the Musee des Beaux Arts in Angers. That was cool. The Bretagne region of France is a pretty distinct region of France. The people seem to be a bit more hearty and outgoing than in Nantes. This is a generalization but I think there is some kind of Germanic, Gaelic, I don’t know, influence. I will have to bone up on some history I guess. Angers was gorgeous. Old chateaus and cathedrals were the highlights of the day trip.

It’s a bit more difficult language-wise at present because there are now tons of Americans swarming the residence where I live. I can speak English whenever I want. Often I want to just because it’s easy, so I have to force myself rather than be forced, to speak French. People on the streets here love to practice their English as well so it makes things difficult. I actually have been complemented a bit on my French this week, which I find hilarious, but I take what I can get. I think it’s the sheer fact that they know I am an English-speaker and they are pleased that I am trying. I like this about Nantes. The people here are very helpful with foreigners. I think there is a tendency with English speakers as compared to say, Spanish speakers, to be shy about saying things in French. We tend to be a bit more afraid of making mistakes. I am surprisingly not very afraid to speak on the streets, I just have a hard time in class when it comes to discussing movies or art. I don’t have a large enough vocabulary yet. I comprehend so much more than I ever did before. It's absolutely incredible how the force and necessity of communication, creates knowledge. Human beings love to express themselves. The best way to learn a language is to be forced to act upon your desire to express your feelings. Human beings love talking. We do it so well in every culture. I find that I want to be included in the discussions, jokes and small-talk here, so I am driven to understand as much as possible.

1 comment:

TerryB said...

I for one embrace the spirit of ethnocentrism whenever I can. I tell my students they should, too. It's healthy to think your country, your town, your husband, your children are the best, and to desire them above all else. Long live the Bernardinis!