Wednesday, May 12, 2010

To My Mother

 

To My Mother

by Wendell Berry 

I was your rebellious son,
do you remember? Sometimes
I wonder if you do remember,
so complete has your forgiveness been.

So complete has your forgiveness been
I wonder sometimes if it did not
precede my wrong, and I erred,
safe found, within your love,

prepared ahead of me, the way home,
or my bed at night, so that almost
I should forgive you, who perhaps
foresaw the worst that I might do,

and forgave before I could act,
causing me to smile now, looking back,
to see how paltry was my worst,
compared to your forgiveness of it

already given. And this, then,
is the vision of that Heaven of which
we have heard, where those who love
each other have forgiven each other,

where, for that, the leaves are green,
the light a music in the air,
and all is unentangled,
and all is undismayed.
 
 
Mom, 
Your unfailing forgiveness 
The steadfastness of your own character 
And the steadfastness of your efforts in shaping my character
Your strength of heart and mind
While still remaining soft and feminine 
A woman that delights in the Lord and in people of all kinds
You've always kept a sense of grace in our home
Many are quick to judge, quick to blame
But the lasting impression of you has been your quickness to forgive
To bring grace to a world that experiences little of it

I want to have pride like you 
Like the Avett Brothers say,
"not the kind of pride that turns you bad"
But the kind that gives up selfish ambition 
And sees good and isn't afraid to live it

What I can say for myself is that 
You, mom, have shaped me
The parts of myself that I like
The times when I get real honest with myself and God
When I struggle and find some remnant of joy to smile about
When I don't take myself so seriously
And I can laugh at my shortcomings
But mostly when I reach out to God 
I find you there, encouraging me 
To keep pursuing what is good and lovely
Because that's who you are
A lover of beauty
The kind though that doesn't fade with time and age
But one that lasts for all of time
And one that has laid an imprint on my life

Continue in your way, mom
I love you

Natalie


3 comments:

TerryB said...

I don't deserve such, but I accept your words with gratitude...I don't know why I've been so blessed. Actually, I do know - it's all undeserved, unmerited. Just feel like I should have DONE something to have been given so much in return. Thank you, sweet one.

Unknown said...

your new blog is pretty and you say nice things. why don't you move back home so that we can be friends.

Emily said...

You won't remember me Natalie, but your parents were a big part of my youth at PVBC. Your words about your mom ar ejust as she is. It has been decades, but it is good to know some things stay the same.