Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Warwick and A Little Bath


After I left Pippa's house, which was no fun, I got on a train, well a few trains, to go see the town of Warwick. I really didn't know how I was going to get around with my huge backpack, but I thought I would just figure out as I went along. I really impressed myself with my ability to get on the right trains. I say this because I typically am completely and utterly directionally challenged, but train traveling is obviously made for me. I have gotten on a ridiculous amount of trains and have not made one mistake. I had to change trains three times to get to Warwick, so that was a bit exhausting. When I finally arrived in Warwick, I had no idea where I was to put my bags so that I could tour the city. I ended up walking all the way into town and finally finding a hotel in the middle of the city. At this point, it had been almost an hour with what felt like an old man being carried on my back and I was exhausted. So, I went in and asked for a room and the guy actually gave me a really big discount on the room. So with grandpa off my back, a swanky hotel room in the middle of Warwick and a moment's respite, I was good to go. I just toured around the entire day. Took pictures, read and had a coffee and scone, ate by myself at a delicious Thai restaurant. I got a little lonely after eating out; I have never really done that before. As I got back to my hotel room, I began to feel the loneliness of not having anyone to talk to or to share all of the grand sights I had seen that day. It felt strange staying alone in a hotel room, but I cheered up eventually! I opened my window because it is actually Autumn here, no joke; and just enjoyed instead of being annoyed by the solitude.

The next day, I checked out and prepared to make the long trek back to the train station. This time, I strapped everything much better to myself. On the way up, a man shouted at me from across the street, "Well, Love! That backpack is as big as you are! You going to make it all right?" We both just laughed and I retorted, "just as long as the wind keeps from blowing, I'll be fine." I made it, and continued on to Bath with three train changes. I am a pro at this point. The scenery from the windows was particularly beautiful. It must be where they film all the Jane Austen BBC movies, or at least some of them. I love listening to music on the train, whether it is Nick drake for the morning, David Gray for the stormy afternoon, or Kanye West when I am feeling bold and need to break all the seriousness. I get lots of reading done as well.

Well, I finally got to Bath and was delighted to meet Mrs. Mary Porter at the station. How incredible is this. Okay, so Mary Miller recommended this Bed and Breakfast in Bath. She adores the owners and the place. The couple, first of all, comes and picks me up from the station. I just can't understand why God has lavished so many blessings on me this week! We pull up to the manor, and yes I said manor, and it was like someone punched me in the chest. I couldn't breathe when I saw the house and the hills surrounding. John and Mary Porter are an older, incredibly vivacious and kind couple. I am going to get a picture of them because they are just precious. John is tall and thin with this incredible white hair that's perfectly messy. He looks like an Oxford professor and she is round and sweet as pie. We chatted over a cup and tea and a biscuit. Then I headed out to explore their gardens and then the canals. I kept ooohing and ahhhing out loud. It would have been quite embarassin' if someone had been with me, but I couldn't help it. I have never seen a garden with so many things growing in such fullness at once. The variety and use of space was a sight to behold. After my recontrer with Peter Rabbit in the abundant garden, I headed for the canal. I was just tripping down the lane enraptured by the landscape. What makes this kind of landscape so beautiful to me is that everything is so delightfully uneven. One minute, you are up high, and the next you are in a valley. I chatted with people boating along the canal as I walked. It is Autumn here, at least everyday feels exactly how Fall should feel.

We had a superb dinner together, straight from their garden. I love living so close to the earth! This is, I know, how Wendell Berry lives. Some friends popped in for coffee and rhubarb crumble, c'est delicieuse! I was chatting with Mr. Porter all about rowing and he was so happy to find a kindred spirit in the sport. He loves rowing and we just talked and talked all about it. He is going to take me down to see where he rows tomorrow. We ended up watching his recording of the olympic rowing from a few days ago. Tomorrow, Mr. John is dropping me off in town to spend the day seeing everything from the Roman baths, to the Jane Austen Centre. I am blessed beyond measure with all of these wonderful people. It's so nice, kind of strange, jumping from one place to the other. Everything is so different. One day I am in the countryside, the next day I am in London! I am here until Thursday and then I head to London. Ciao for now!

2 comments:

TerryB said...

I can just see Mr. and Mrs. Porter. Please take a picture of them, and give them a special thanks from me for taking such good care of you. And tell them if they ever come to Memphis they have a place to stay.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having quite an adventure, Natalie. I have never been to Bath but I did get to go to Warwick and tour the castle and gardens. It was lovely and I had no idea peacocks can get up in trees and sound like yowling cats! I am glad for you to be able to experience so much. I will be eagerly waiting for you to post some pictures.

Blessings,
nancy kemp