Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Worms Head




Today was Wuthering Heights day. Mr. Rick and Mrs. Mary drove me out to Worms Head in Swansea to see the view. The drive was beautiful, though the roads are so narrow. By narrow, I mean that the white lines often end, meaning that only one car can fit, meaning that I freaked out a little. However, Mr. Miller is such a fantastic driver that it ended up being really fun. We got out to Worms Head and my Jane Austen fantasy world began to unfold before my eyes. With the vast, grey ocean spread out before me like a feast for my eyes, ever looking over it, but never having my fill. The velvet green, massive cliffs were the dessert of the whole thing. With the rain and let me record here, sleet, yes sleet in August pouring over us and the thick fog blanketing the giant rocks, I couldn't have asked for a better scene. It was very cold, probably low 50s, but it was all just eye candy, no time to think about inclement weather. After being soaked to the bone, we headed for a pub to get a coffee. I have been needing a latte for days, so this was perfect. We sat overlooking the sea in quiet admiration of God's designing so many delights for the eye and soul.
We came back for lunch. The people who work at the Bible College of Wales here, all eat together. I have never experienced such community. Everyone eats together, washes dishes together everyday. This adorable old man whom I had the pleasure of meeting, just melted my heart with his "oh lovely, lovely!"s and his pure gentility. We spoke a bit of French and I just fell in love with his manner and his story. Mrs. Mary told me that He waited to marry the woman he loved for 30 years. They both lived here and had declared to keep their vow of celibacy until someone told them that they could marry. They both kept their promise, working together in love with each other for 30 years until a new director came to the school. They got married in their 60s I believe and never go anywhere without holding hands. So sweet.
That's it for now. I am just working on my itinerary for the rest of the time. It sounds perfect.

Lesson 2: For once in my life I need to wear more clothes, it's cold!!

5 comments:

TerryB said...

Your dad said, "I wish you could be there with her", to which I said it's almost like it because of the pictures and your blog. I mean it. Keep writing. I'm so, so happy, and so, so thankful.

Unknown said...

yeah, it is good, dang. and i think you need to keep a tally of the layers that you wear. i mean, you were about 4 on a regular summer day, so i can't even imagine cold and rainy! love

em

SE said...

So glad you got there safe!

Anonymous said...

Layers! - at 50 degrees? I'm still in shorts and tevas, but would probably have on a sweatshirt. It sounds awesome. A true Jane Austen fantasy.
Love
Re

Katie said...

NATALIE! this sounds amazing! you do such a wonderful job at describing the new world around you! miss you!