Monday, October 27, 2008

"Why American Women Get Fat in France"

Today I thought about starting a book, "Why American Women Do Get Fat in France". Well, I don't deserve the term "fat" quite yet, but I am definitely not losing any pounds while in the land of carbs. I think sometimes that God designed women with some sort of freak compulsion for sweets and/or bread. Why else would there be all these diets for women cutting out all carbs and desserts. To me, this is torture. I love a good pastry and I adore well-made desserts. Luckily, I am very picky about what kinds of sweets go into my mouth because the experience has to be all worth it. This habit of mine works well for me in the States because my dessert choice is thus, limited. If the dessert is not divine enough to give my palate exactly what it deserves, I will not eat it. Ah, but in France, almost every dessert or pastry is fresh, delicious and totally worthy of consumption. I am still in awe of the amount of dolce delights one can find in France. The book, "French Women Don't Get Fat" is all well and good for French women and even American women, but what the author does not prepare you for is your trip as an American girl to France.

I have never dieted and I never want to. I agree with Mireille Guiliano, author of FWDGF, on all of her points in her book. However, I have had to seriously watch the consumption here. Butter, butter, bread and butter, is all I see here. I mean Nantes has great seafood, so I enjoy that, but every time I go to buy a sandwich, I get a whole baguette with butter and mayonaise on it. Sick!! So, just a warning...I think it's a conspiracy by the French government to make foreigners fat. I seriously doubt that the millions of skinny French women I see who parade the streets of France ever touch an almond croissant smothered in butter and melted sugar. Maybe they just eat one bite, but how hard is that!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"oh land of ccaarrbbss...ready or not here I come!!!!"

TerryB said...

Well put! Enjoy it while you can. Stateside you can get some decent artisan bread at Costco, but it's no doubt been frozen first. And I don't know who has fresh butter.