Friday, September 4, 2009

Dessert 1


Twice-baked Shortbread

     This is my first recipe. I made the dough, composed mainly of butter and flour and of course, a bit of vanilla, and then just pressed it into a pan and let it set for two hours. This is the trick to shortbread. Let it sit for two hours or overnight before baking to enhance the flavor and texture that makes this simple treat so wonderful. I will be twice-baking it before I return from my awful, dreadful, no good, lab work I have to get done. I am having surgery Tuesday and I have to get my blood drawn today. I figured that if I left the baking for after I get back from this unhappy outing then I will have a reason to come back to life. You, see I HATE, no LOATHE having my blood taken. I pass out, cry, pass out again, cry a little more, well you get the point. I make a complete fool/baby out of myself and there's no fixing it. So, for the first time, I am going to be active about overcoming this fear. I will focus only on making it back home to my shortbread which will need to be stuffed into the oven promptly upon my arrival home,. So I must not throw up on the side of the road or do anymore of this nonsense. I am making shortbread! I'll let you know how it turns out.......

     Okay so, here's the shortbread.  I made it back from the doctor in one piece, despite my ghostly white skin which seemed to summon a lot of sympathy in the bank teller and the office lady at the hospital.  But, success was had today and I triumphed!  This shortbread calls the hearts of all my fellow butter lovers to mange!  I like it as a mid-afternoon treat with a cup of PG Tips tea and milk...English style!

No comments: